is a community of creative people more or less connected to video games and digital art
We believe in the value of small, friendly & supportive spaces, first for personal growth, and also for healthy creativity
This instance uses Darius Kazemi's hometown fork
of Mastodon, and follows ideas from Darius' article runyourown.social
To keep things friendly, safe, and healthy, this instance is deliberately kept small, with an upper limit of fifty active members
Currently the stream.void.garden technical & moderation "team" is limited to @gaeel
, if you have any questions, complaints or remarks regarding stream.void.garden and its members, please get in touch
You can use the in-built reporting tools, or get in touch with gaeel via a mastodon message, or head to gaeel's personal contact page
and choose how you'd like to talk
If your concerns are about Gaeel himself, the current best thing to do is get in touch with one of the other members of stream.void.garden. we're looking to provide better alternatives soon.
stream.void.garden rules & etiquette
Using tools to automate posting to your human-driven profile is not allowed. If you'd like to run a bot on stream.void.garden, ask an admin
to create an account for the bot. This especially includes Twitter cross-posting tools.
You are, of course, allowed to manually post the same content to multiple platforms.
The Content Warning system
Using the Content Warning (CW) system on sensitive content is obligatory (see Code of Conduct below), but it is also recommended to use CWs on other posts too.
Some cases where you might want to use a content warning:
- Posting about politics (CW: "pol", "uspol", "ukpol", etc...)
- Negativity, rants (CW: "-", "(-)", "neg", "negativity", "rant")
- Long posts (CW: "long")
- Flashing videos and GIFs (CW: "flashing")
- Food, animals, selfies & photos with eye contact (CW: "food", "dogposting", "selfie", "eye contact")
- Posting about that one thing you're always on about, again (CW: "EVE Online", "Harry Potter", "Pokémon")
Home, Local & Federated timelines
The "Home" timeline is a feed of posts from people you follow, and "Local" is a feed from other people on this instance. You're probably fine replying to these posts, especially if they're from people who are following you too.
On the other hand, the "Federated" timeline is a feed containing posts from people we are federated with through interactions, follows and boosts across instances. Please take care when replying to people in that feed, they don't know you. Use common sense, be friendly and thoughtful, especially when replying to posts that seem too personal or sensitive.
Code of Conduct
Members of stream.void.garden are expected to behave in accordance with the following code of conduct
If a stream.void.garden member acts in a way that does not align with these rules, moderators may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from all stream.void.garden spaces.
In order to protect volunteers from abuse and burnout, we reserve the right to reject any report we believe to have been made in bad faith. Reports intended to silence legitimate criticism may be deleted without response.
We will respect confidentiality requests for the purpose of protecting victims of abuse. It may be deemed necessary—for the protection of individuals outside our community to identify offenders of this Code to persons external to this community (including, where necessary, in public forum). We will not name harassment victims without their affirmative consent.
Sensitive content includes, but is not limited to, sex, violence, drugs, alcohol, food, mental health discussions, and trauma triggers.
Use the Content Warning system to mask this content for people who do not wish to view it.
Posts promoting certain types of problematic content are explicitly not allowed, including:
- Bestiality (any sexualised depiction of non-cognisant animals)
- Clarification: Explicit furry art, or sexual depictions of anthropomorphised animals who have the mental capacity to consent, is allowed. However, sexual depictions (and especially photography) of animals who cannot consent is not allowed at all. If capacity to consent is unclear, removal of a piece of content will be left to the administrators.
- Pedophilia (or any sexualised depiction of children or young animals)
- Non-consensual sex
We do not tolerate harassment by or of stream.void.garden members in any form
Members asked to stop any harassing behaviour are expected to comply immediately
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, age, race, or religion.
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment.
- Deliberate misgendering or use of ‘dead’ or rejected names.
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behaviour in spaces where they’re not appropriate.
- Physical contact and simulated physical contact (eg, textual descriptions like “*hug*” or “*backrub*”) without consent or after a request to stop.
- Threats of violence.
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm.
- Deliberate intimidation.
- Stalking or following.
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes.
- Sustained disruption of discussion.
- Unwelcome sexual attention.
- Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease.
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse.
- Publication of non-harassing private communication.
- stream.void.garden prioritises marginalised people’s safety over privileged people’s comfort. Moderators reserve the right not to act on complaints regarding:
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as “leave me alone,” “go away,” or “I’m not discussing this with you.”
- Communicating in a ‘tone’ you don’t find congenial
- Criticising racist, sexist, cissexist, ableist, fatphobic, or otherwise oppressive behaviour or assumptions